Thursday 13 March 2014

Tarpology Exploration

Tarping under the only tree on Exmoor

I've had a tarp for a while. I love the idea of a tarp, the simplicity, the natural feeling, the closeness to the outside world.  I love looking at the stars and the moon from my bed. Being half indoors and half outdoors as I make the first brew of the day, still snuggled in a sleeping bag and bivvy bag


My main tarp is a 3m x 3m dark green tarp from DD Hammocks, and it's brilliant. Strong, with lots of lifting points and pegging points. I've used it on microadventures and out and about when I don't really want to take a tent. (I must confess that I really wanted an Alpkit Rig 7, but they sold out every time I tried to buy one! I would appreciate the lighter weight of the Rig 7, but have sometimes been thankful of extra size of the DD 3x3. In the ideal world, I'd have both, but there are limits! In the end I have partially eased my Rig cravings by buying its little brother, the Rig 3.5)

So far, I have always used pretty conventional pitches. The Exmoor picture at the top of this post shows typical setup: a pole at the front, with the back edge pegged to the ground and a guy from the tree to lift the ridge and give us a bit more room inside. That sort of setup, or a simple ridge, work fine on nice calm nights, where you don't need to worry about rain (or snow!) blowing in. But the other month I was facing the prospect of using the tarp on a potentially blustery rainy February night and I needed something a bit more weatherproof. So I started to play! Half an hour in the garden with a walking pole and some guy ropes came up with some interesting and simple solutions.

The first is a simple kite shaped pyramid. Pegged out at the centre of the back, part way along two sides and with the other two corners pegged together it provided a cavernous and stable pyramid with plenty of room for two people. (The flaps at the back could be tucked inside to provide a bit of groundsheet.)

  

The door at the front is held closed by the tension, and the spare flap can be guyed down to add to the weatherproofing and stop flapping.

The next version was pegged out at the four corners, with the front corners closer together. The front edges were fixed together at two of the guying loops, leaving a low door to crawl in and out through. The pole was lightly lower, but there was lots of space in this one too, with plenty of room for two people plus kit.


The blustery February evening was cancelled in the end, so I haven't yet tried these in anger, but they both felt stable and strong, and I'm looking forward to giving them a go.

I've just got myself a new Alpkit Rig 3.5. At 2.4 x 1.4 m it is tiny compared to the huge DD 3x3, but I look forward to putting it through its paces.

Lots more tarpology exploration to come!



Whatever shape the tarp, some things are essential ....




No comments:

Post a Comment