Sunday 8 June 2014

Big Wales Thing - Clothing

I have pondered long and hard on what to wear and take on the Big Wales Thing, trading off weight, protection, safety, comfort and general smelliness. I also only want to take tried and tested kit, as I have discovered how something comfortable for 10 miles can decide to rub after 15 miles in the wet.  I think I have just about decided what to take now...


From outside to inside, and top to bottom...

Shell Layer
Me and my Kamleika Jacket on top of Snowdon
For a waterproof layer I shall take my OMM Kamleika Jacket.  It is not the most waterproof thing in the world, but has served me well on several wet mountain marathons. I know from experience that it is easy to vent, but rolling the sleeves up and opening the zip.

Similarly, for my legs I shall use OMM Kamleika trousers.  These will also have to serve as my "smart" (!!) trousers if it is too cold to wear shorts and I am in a B&B/pub. Might get some strange looks, but I can't afford to carry a spare pair of trousers just for smartness!

Windproof
I have become a great fan of my Montane Featherlite smock. 100g and packs to nothing, but easily slips on and provides great windblocking.

Featherlie smock and Montane tights
Mid and base layers
Nothing special here. A light fleece and two running T-shirts, one short sleeved and one long sleeved.

I'll also have a buff with me, eitehr for warmth or for wiping sweat away!

Legs
I'll be running in either

  • Montane Tights - Trusted legwear! Stretchy and windproof(ish) with a neat thigh pocket.
  • lightweight running shorts.  I have taken the integral mesh pants out of the shorts, as I found that the elastic rubs on long trips.


Underwear
M&S briefs, partly because they fit well, and partly because they say "Super Fit" on the waistband, and that is how I feel when I put them on :-)

Socks
After trying out lots of brands I shall be running in Inov-8 Merino socks.  I have found the padding is great for my feet on long runs.
Rab Generator Smock 

Extra stuff for Camp
I shall also pack:

  • a dry T-shirt
  • a set of Helly Hansen tops and bottoms
  • a Rab Generator Smock (Primaloft insulated)
  • a spare pare of warm socks
  • (maybe, if space allows) a pair of sealskin socks, to wear over warm socks as slippers to keep my dry socks dry!

I shall try to wash/rinse out my shirts, socks and pants every day, provided there is enough sunshine to dry them. That should keep the worst of the smells at bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment