Sunday 15 June 2014

Quick Microadventure and Kit Check



A magic snatched night on Dartmoor.

I'm running out of time to do any more training or get any more kit before the Big Wales Thing, so I am down to final odds and ends of preparations.

This week I had one final chance to test myself and my kit.  I had a meeting in Plymouth and it was lovely weather, so I cancelled my hotel booking and took myself off to sleep on Dartmoor for the night. I took most of the kit I will be taking next week, but fewer clothes, so my bag was a bit lighter, but it was a great final shakedown and kit test.

You can see a short video of my impromptu night out here.




The evening started with a lovely run onto the moor north from Two Bridges, following the West Dart valley. I was soon wandering through Wistman's Wood, a perfect oasis of calm and birdsong and mossy trees. Too rocky to run, but this is in any case a place to linger and soak up the feelings of solitude and age.

Crossing the river I realised I was at the start of Devonport Leat, an amazing man-made channel dating from the 1790s, which weaves around the edge of the moor, collecting water for delivery (originally) all the way to Devonport on the west side of Plymouth.

I climbed to the top of Beardown Tor and found a perfect spot in a hollow near the top of the tor.  Once I'd settled I went to find water, only to come across a family of badgers playing in the evening sunshine close their sett. Sadly I spooked them and they bustled their way underground, but it was another site to add to the magic of the night.

I got water from the river in my Travel Tap filter bottle, decanted half a litre into a bottle and refilled the Travel Tap, giving me 1.25 litres for the night - enough for a couple of brews and some supper. (I'll be acrrying another half litre bottle with me on the real thing, giving me 1.75 litres.)

Back at my nest on the tor, I boiled half a litre of water, used half for some instant noodles, which cooked nicely in my new titanium bowl, and used the rest to make some coffee.

As the sun set an almost full moon rose, meaning that it never got completely dark. I settled down for the night, warm in my quilt and hunka, read for a little (proving that my small candle lantern is bright enough to let me read from my ebook reader) and drifted off to sleep.

I woke a few times, as ever, and looked at the moon and the stars, before rolling over again and settling down. In the middle of the night there was still a skylark singing, confused by the light from the bright clear moon.

I had to be up early to get down to Plymouth for breakfast at 0700. I'd set an alarm for 0500, but was awake at 0440, and I got a brew on as the sun rose.  I used some Jiva coffee cubes, the first time I'd tried them in the wild, and they gave me a lovely strong cup of real coffee. Sweeter than I normally have it (as the cubes are made with coffee and molasses) but just the thing to start the day, lying in my bag enjoying the solitude and tranquility of the early morning. I shall be taking Jiva cubes with me on the Big Wales Thing - I do like good coffee!

Packing up didn't take long and I was soon jogging downhill to join and run along Devonport Leat. It was a beautiful morning and I caught myself grinning as I jogged along the waterway, watching the birds and listening to their songs.

Crossing the Dart again as I came into Two Bridges I said to myself "There should be Dippers here." and was rewarded with the sight of a pair of them, flitting down the river and standing bobbing up and down ("dipping") on the rocks. I hadn't seen any Dippers for years.  More smiles.

I was soon back at the car and it wasn't yet 0600. I drove down to Princetown and stole a shower in the campsite, coming out smart, shaved and clean and ready for the day.

I got out of the car at the Holiday Inn and joined my colleagues for a well deserved breakfast, feeling alive and relaxed (and maybe just a tad smug inside!).























1 comment:

  1. Well done! Your delight in these simple pleasures really shines through.
    Al

    ReplyDelete