Sunday 1 June 2014

Getting there....

The big day is getting closer, and I am going through a final burst of training to get me ready, before I ease off for a couple of weeks to be ready for the big day itself.

Pete and I at 12 miles

Last weekend (on my birthday!) my brother Pete and I ran in the Trailblazer Half Marathon in the Forest of Dean.  It was the first competitive half marathon for both of us.  We have run a 10k  of the same course a couple of times, and we thought this year we'd have a go at the new half marathon. The course was a good mixture of hard paths and muddier forest trails and the run went well.  Pete and I were well matched, and managed sub 8'30" miles most of the way round.  We finished in 1h51m45s, which was a new half marathon PB for us both.

I was 67th overall out of 201 runners, and 6th (of 31) in the over 50s. Quite happy with that!  Pete and I ran together the whole way.

I managed a short quickish run during the week, to keep the limbs moving, and then this morning I packed a heavy pack to see what it would feel like. I loaded my bag with climbing ropes and water bottles (and a large pair of binoculars!) until it weighed 10.5kg, significantly more than I expect to ever carry on the Big Wales Thing.

I chose a hilly route on the edge of Winchester, and set off on an eight mile circuit. The first couple of miles were mainly uphill out of the town, and I could feel the extra weight, but I soon settled into a rhythm and the miles slipped away. I walked the odd short steep stretch, just as I will on the main event, and was surprised how little difference that seemed to make to my average pace.  I seem to do about 10 minute miles on long runs with a full weight pack, which will be a fine pace for Wales.

I was feeling good at the end, and walked back to the car through sunshine and the the lively Sunday morning car boot sale. I had a few minutes to spare before I had to pick my daughter up, so treated myself to some rehydration,  carbs and protein in the form of a mug of tea and a sausage sandwich!




No comments:

Post a Comment